All day long I had been hearing about long lines at the polling places. My boss didn't make it in until after 9 am this morning because of lines at his polling place. Another coworker of mine did the same thing I did this morning - went to vote, left, and planned to return later in the day.
I asked my boss today if he would mind if I leave by about half an hour early to give me some extra time if needed to stand in line to vote. He said as long as I was going to vote for McCain, no problem.
"Yeah, well, I would rather vote for Fred Thompson, but he didn't stick it out, so yes, McCain," I said, hopped in the car, and left.
As I neared the school where our precinct votes, I expected to see the infamous long lines of voters' cars I had been hearing about all day.
But the parking lot was almost vacant. When I got inside, there was nobody waiting to check in. And each of the dozen or so voting boxes had one person casting their vote.
I joked around with the ladies at the desk a little bit about the lines -- apparently it was non-stop until around 2 o'clock. Then it was steady for a while and slowed to a trickle a little bit before I arrived.
I asked if I could take a picture of the non-existent lines so I could post in on my blog, because I told them that some people may not believe me when I would tell them that at 5 pm there was no line whatsoever.
First off they didn't quite get what a blog is. Secondly, they didn't quite get why I wanted to take a picture to go along with it. And, third, they said no. They said cell phones are not allowed to be used inside a polling place.
I would have argued with them a little bit about the point that technically I wasn't going to use the phone to make a call -- but I didn't quite feel like arguing with a bunch of retirees. I did that at church once recently and it didn't turn out real well.
Anyway... my vote it cast. Not that it will really count much. But I know I voted - I would have felt guilty if I hadn't.
Now when people start bitching about how bad things under Obama will be and then how they have gotten, those that had been brainwashed into voting for him will have no room to talk because they're the fools that will have put him in office. And I will happily say, well, you should have voted for the other guy like I did.
Oh, and to top it all off, they were out of the "I Voted" stickers. Not that I really care, but I did ask about those -- and then told them that I'll just go out and purchase a "Hi, my name is" tag and write on it "I Voted" and wear that around for the rest of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment