06 February 2008

I Think I'm Going to Be Sick

Super Tuesday is now over. As expected, no one clear frontrunner has been established for either party. All the politicos, news organizations, and analysts are predicting though a McCain-led Republican ticket and a Hillary-led Democratic ticket. If that's what we're going to have to choose from, I think I'm going to be sick.

Even though I graduated Clemson University with a degree in Political Science, I promised myself when I started this blog that I wouldn't discuss politics on here. I have my reasons for that. But I'm now breaking that promise.

I am so frustrated with the political system in this country. Not many people really undestand, or grasp the concept of primaries, caucuses, delegates, and super-delegates. Not many people really get why the electoral college is in true control of the outcome of presidential elections. (thank God for that in 2000 - or we would have had Al Gore as president when 9/11 happened. I have nightmares about that scenario every night). We need someone in office, regardless of party, that will call for a reevaluation and restructuring of how we put these people in the Oval Offfice. The system is broken - and it needs to be fixed. In my ideal world, we'd eliminate the state primaries, caucuses, and the electoral college and have a national primary for the presidential candidate from each party and follow that up with a national primary for vice-president. I realistically though *sigh* don't think that (if it were to ever happen) would happen in my lifetime.

We're all so tired of the partisan bickering, backroom deals, and politics of legislating - period. My party, the GOP, has totally lost its way. What happened to the Contract With America? Personal agendas and bank accounts got it the way. What happened to keeping the American citizen - our security and our well being - a priority? Again, personal agendas and bank accounts have gotten in the way. No one seems willing to step up to the plate with a true vision of steering this country back on track and in a prosperous direction. These candidates may say they want to fix our economy, provide better health care and education, secure our borders, protect us from international threats, rebuild our industrial base, pursue scientific innovation, and this and that. But what it all comes down to is a power trip for them. Our own government is what has screwed this country up in the first place and our government will continue to be the main reason why every other nation in the world thinks we're a bunch of idiots.

To continue my rant, here's a little something that I posted on FoxNews' discussion board this morning:

Hillary being elected presisdent, with a Democratic congress in power, is the worst of all worlds because in that situation she will have the most ability to push her agenda through. Think about it people (this goes back to what was taught in your high school Government 101 class): the president does not make the laws. The president does not pass the laws. The president proposes legislation. And it is up to Congress to act on those proposals or throw them in the trash. The president is the Cheif Executive of the United States - they execute and enforce the laws; they nominate judges (which is a scary thought on its own with Hillary in office). THE PRESIDENT DOES NOT MAKE THE LAWS - THEY ONlY ENFORCE THEM. CONGRESS MAKES THE LAWS. Democratic president + democratic congress = alot of scary stuff.

That being said, we do not need Hillary in office to even try to get her platform on Congress’ agenda. Universal health care? We’ll go bankrupt. Pulling our troops out of Iraq? Once we leave, the Iranians and the Syrians will invade it and throw the entire region into more chaos than it already is. If there is any hope for democracy and a stable situtation in Iraq, we will need to have a consistent military presence there for years to come. Giving illegal immigrants an opportunity to earn legal status? No way. If they’re here illegally, track them down and deport them. If immigrants want to be in this country, they should be required to do it the legal way. Illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from Americans, driving up our health care costs, and taking precious resources away from our public education system. Do we want someone who supports all this in office? I certainly don’t.

The one person that had the right ideas was Fred Thompson - and he’s out because he wasn’t willing to get the job done and actually RUN for president. Now we’re probably going to be stuck with McCain, who is one of the most liberal Republicans in Congress, and Hillary Clinton to choose from.

Think about this: there are still alot of countries in this world that do not think highly of women in high positions or of any status at all. Do you think they will take us seriously with her in office? I don’t think so. They’re going to try to take advantage of her and our nation any way they can. And what will she do then? - maybe posibly lob some cruise missiles at a pile of dirt in some remote portion of their country just like her husband did when he felt like flexing a little muscle. If we’re going to elect a woman president in this day and age, it needs to be Condi Rice because these countries that we’re having to deal with potentital threats from in the 21st century know that Condi means business and she’ll kick them to the curb.

There are so many things wrong with this country today and everyone thinks they have a better way to fix them. I have my own thoughts; you have yours. Nobody has the ultimate solution for everything. And the people that are on the ticket(s) still are the best that have stepped up to the plate for us to have to choose from? That is truly pathetic. I’m a diehard, conservative, card-carrying member of the GOP. I hate what our party has come to. It is fractured to the point where I don’t think any of the candidates we have can pull it back together and get it on track to defeat Hillary. We need a uniter. Is there really one on either ticket? I don’t think so.

Sorry for the ranting - I just needed to get all that off my chest before I go throw up.

No comments: