At first thought, Nah. I don't have anything really worth saying -- or putting out there - for people to read.
But my buddy Kamran and I had an interesting discussion one day about blogging. I think he was probably the one who convinced me to.
It's different from my former life as a reporter. Then the writing served a purpose. This at first I thought was something that I'd try and give up shortly afterward. Well, it's two years today (actually yesterday, by the time I finish and post this) that I started Methodical Mayhem and this is post number 111.
That's an average of one and some change worth of a blog post each week. From one aspect I consider that good that I've been able to take enough time to write that much. From another aspect, I think I could have done more.
I wasn't really sure at first what I wanted to talk about or to include in a blog. I've certainly discarded many ideas for blog posts over that time -- some of which probably would have done me no good and probably would have been to my detriment in one way or another because there are some things that are better left unsaid.
What would I feel comfortable telling people? There are things that I swore I wouldn't talk about on here that I have.
Like politics.
I didn't really want to open that can of worms. But I did. Do I regret doing that? No, not really. If it helps get my point across and my side of the aisle an additional avenue through which to be heard, then fine.
I've blogged about a lot of things on here .... American Idol, holidays, family, sometimes work, entertainment, all kinds of odds and ends.
But I still haven't really taken MM in any one direction either Not sure that I will. I like going from topic to topic.
And I've gotten some interesting comments. Alot more so via email or just things people will say to me in conversation. I guess there aren't really any people out there that have stumbled on my blog that I've either really excited enough to or pissed off enough to elicit some sort of written response from.
It's kinda weird when people find out you blog. I generally get one of two reactions "Really? Why do you do that? Why would you do that?" or "Give me the address ... I'd like to read it."
I kind of prefer the second reaction. People want to sound supportive. But people are curious too. I'm the same way. I find out that people blog and the first thing I do is ask for the address.
I find out someone I know well is blogging and I'll link to them from MM. That's just kinda how I roll.
But getting back to the question of "why"..... well, it's an outlet. I like to vent. I like to be saracastic. I like to write down observations. I like to narrate. I like to be creative. So it's sort of an all-encompassing outlet...
... for no one particular topic. For no one particular mood. I've blogged when I've been wanted to relay a funny story. I've blogged when I've been irritated with someone or something.
So there is really no method to the madness... or the mayhem. It's just me. Take from it what you will.
Oh, and for those of you reading this after it has been pulled by my "Notes" app on Facebook, come over to the real site here at methodicalmayhem.com and poke around. There's a good bit more in the archives here than My Notes lists. You might be entertained - or you might be frightened.
The choice is yours.
And here's to at least another two years of this.
1 comment:
I like your posts Brian.
I started mine as a place to write and really be honest with feelings and life as it became harder for me to find the right words with speech..the right words so as to not be judged, or misunderstood, and I found that writing meant I had to own up to it. The words were mine-whether good or bad.
Now after 2+years and an average of 500+readers a day and many comments later, I think it is a GREAT way to get to know someone-really know someone. So much of our daily life is wasted on trying to impress people, show off even, fit into some idiotic group or thee way are "supposed" to be, and many times the outward appearance of someone or something is completely different than the inside.
I enjoy reading your thoughts.
Glad I found you.
Post a Comment