15 February 2009

She Had A Long Life

We first noticed the symptoms about a week ago. At first, it was just some minor discoloration. But as the week went on, her color just kept fading. Her energy levels got weaker and weaker.

We could tell she was trying to fight. She wanted to live on. But she had had a long life ..... and it was her time.

Shortly after 8 am on Sunday, Feb. 15, she passed on.

She was a good friend to me who had been there for me all through high school, college, and the first 11 1/2 years of my marriage.

She didn't have a name - up until this past week, when I started referring to her by such phrases as "come on darlin,' you can stick it out a little while longer" or "don't die on me now baby."

My TV of 20 years died this morning as she finally gave up the ghost and left us.

I guess it was her time. Those last couple days we knew the end was near, but we didn't want to admit it.

I'll remember the good times though --- like when I was transfixed by series premiere of Star Trek Voyager on her screen. And the sad times -- when the ending notes displayed on her screen said that Sam never came home on the series finale of Quantum Leap.

You have to figure though that 20 years is a pretty long life for a TV, especially when you don't see too many computers lasting three or four years anymore. All in all, she had a good life.

The guys at the county recycling center will probably think I'm weird when I show up with a television wrapped in a blanket, with a card on it that says, "Goodbye baby. We'll miss you."

So I guess won't do that. I'll just ask that they treat her with a modicum of respect when they take her off to the land of cast off electronic appliances -- the place where televisions, computers, and the like go so that their inner anatomy does not contaminate our environment.

I'll grieve for a day or so. But as with life, I must move on. And I imagine we'll start looking soon for our first flat screen TV, considering that's all they sell now.

No comments: