22 February 2009

It's Just That Time of the Year

I saw them before they saw me, so I was already formulating a response as I approached the entrance to the grocery store. As I got closer, I realized they were just setting up their table.

The setup served for a bit of a distraction because I always feel bad saying "no" as I'm walking into the store to buy something else.

So I picked up some cash from the self-checkout and made my way to the door, knowing full well what my response would be when approached.

It's always the same routine, year in year out. Usually. Except this time, before they had a chance to approach me, I approached the three little girls and their adult leader who were out braving a blistery cold Saturday morning in February.

"I guess it's cookie time again, isn't it?," I said.

"Yes sir," one of the girls replied. "Would you like to buy a box?"

"Well, I'd like to buy about 10 boxes but I only have $5 in cash and you don't take credit," I thought.

My mom used to be a Girl Scout leader. During cookie time each year, our house would become cookie central. Hundreds of boxes. Thousands of cookies. Alot of them were staged in my room -- which in itself could have been a recipe for disaster, had a I not been threatened to have my allowance docked for every box of cookies I ate.

Knowing they change types sometimes, I asked what all they had. The little girls in the Brownie uniforms each took turns rattling off the list of cookies.

Then I took a moment and looked at the boxes, saying "Hmmm..... I'll take a box of.... Caramel DeLites."

One of the girls excitedly said "I KNEW you were going to say that."

Another handed me a box of the cookies, as I handed the third my money. Their leader watched and listened as they counted to make change and then reached for their bag of quarters. As the girls did the math, their leader began to open up the cash holder.

"I'll take the quarters," I whispered to her. I have my own reasons. I still trying to finish off my state quarter collection and am lacking two.

And so as one of the girls handed me my change, quarter by quarter, they all in unison counted "25 cents, 50 cents, 75 cents, 1 dollar, 1 dollar 25 cents, 1 dollar 50 cents. Thank you sir!"

"Thank you ladies," I replied. "I hope you sell a lot of cookies - and stay warm also."

I have a weakness for Girl Scout cookies, that is three-fold.
  • They're just good. You just can't eat only one. And usually I go for an entire row out of the box at a time.
  • I know what it's like to be a kid selling something outside of a business. My Boy Scout troop used to sell Krispy Kreme donuts outside of a bank in Troutman, NC when I was in middle school. It was always on a Friday - that way we could catch people as they were depositing their checks - or stop people from driving off out of the drive thru by walking up to them with a box of donuts in hand.
  • Girl Scout cookies are just good.
OK, so that's only really a two-fold weakness.

I did restrain myself today as I was coming out of the hardware store today and avoided the Girl Scout cookie table set up by the entrance. But the box of Caramel DeLites is already gone - and I need another one.

I guess I better have some cash with me next time I see a table -- I know I will sometime soon. It's just that time of the year.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One row at a time......like father, like son.

TD