
It's that time of year again.... When only three colors consume the mind (at least my mind): Orange, White, and Purple.
It's Clemson football time.
Now I'm not going to pretend that I have ever really known alot about football itself. I didn't play it as a child. I really have no clue what most of the rules are. And I can't tell you anything about individual players statistics, past or present, let alone know their numbers.
Two of my best friends in the world, Banks and Rob, can tell you Clemson stats until they are blue in the face. And I admire them for that. That's just not my thing though.
The thing I like about Clemson football is the electricity of it. When you're in a stadium with 80,000 screaming fans, all pulling for the same team, there is nothing like it. From the tailgating, to the hanging out with friends, getting crazy, drowning the misery of defeat or revelling the victory, it is one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had.
In college my friends and I would start off every game weekend on Thursday night with a hearty round of drinks. That would lead to another round; and another round. And by the time Saturday morning came around, we'd drag out of bed to go tailgate with Banks' folks. We were all like their surrogate kids. They'd have food for everyone. and man, it was good. Banks' stepmom makes some wicked good food.
And no matter the win or the loss, we would always cap the game off with another round of drinks... and another... and another.
The whole game weekend experience was a series of foolishness, debauchery, and insanity the levels of which I cannot describe. In one particular instance that stands out in my mind thoug, on a Saturday in the pre-dawn hours, my friends and I strung a banner on the front of our dorm that read "God Has a Hard On for Tigers." By the time we rolled out of bed later that morning, it was torn down. Looking back, it was immature and I'm rather embarassed of it from a religious standpoint, but at the time it was ridiculously funny and still makes me chuckle.
Now that I'm older, I still love Clemson football. I love making snide comments about USC football. I love that instantaneous comradery that is established the moment you meet another Clemson fan or alum. We all have a very special bond and it's one of those things that we cherish.
But back on the being older train, the whole ceremony of the Clemson game, at least for me, has changed forms to a much tamer aspect. My wife and I have spent the weekend planning out a menu for a get together we're having at our place with a couple that we are great friends with.
The evening will consist of nibbling at the various appetizers my wife will have put together and not let me cook because she just doesn't like the way I do things in the kitchen and watching the game from the comfort of the sofa, floor, or chair, or whatever horizontal surface we decide to sit on. There will be some adult beverages involved... but nowhere near to the extent of which we used to consume.
The last time I drank too much, I blew out blood vessels in both eyes later that night from puking. I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. My drinking habits and tolerance have definitely changed since I was a foolish, young college student. Not that from time to time, I'm not a foolish, thirty-something, but that will be a topic to discuss in a later post.....
But now it's time to bring on the football -- and kick some Seminole ass. Go Tigers!
It's Clemson football time.
Now I'm not going to pretend that I have ever really known alot about football itself. I didn't play it as a child. I really have no clue what most of the rules are. And I can't tell you anything about individual players statistics, past or present, let alone know their numbers.
Two of my best friends in the world, Banks and Rob, can tell you Clemson stats until they are blue in the face. And I admire them for that. That's just not my thing though.
The thing I like about Clemson football is the electricity of it. When you're in a stadium with 80,000 screaming fans, all pulling for the same team, there is nothing like it. From the tailgating, to the hanging out with friends, getting crazy, drowning the misery of defeat or revelling the victory, it is one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had.
In college my friends and I would start off every game weekend on Thursday night with a hearty round of drinks. That would lead to another round; and another round. And by the time Saturday morning came around, we'd drag out of bed to go tailgate with Banks' folks. We were all like their surrogate kids. They'd have food for everyone. and man, it was good. Banks' stepmom makes some wicked good food.
And no matter the win or the loss, we would always cap the game off with another round of drinks... and another... and another.
The whole game weekend experience was a series of foolishness, debauchery, and insanity the levels of which I cannot describe. In one particular instance that stands out in my mind thoug, on a Saturday in the pre-dawn hours, my friends and I strung a banner on the front of our dorm that read "God Has a Hard On for Tigers." By the time we rolled out of bed later that morning, it was torn down. Looking back, it was immature and I'm rather embarassed of it from a religious standpoint, but at the time it was ridiculously funny and still makes me chuckle.
Now that I'm older, I still love Clemson football. I love making snide comments about USC football. I love that instantaneous comradery that is established the moment you meet another Clemson fan or alum. We all have a very special bond and it's one of those things that we cherish.
But back on the being older train, the whole ceremony of the Clemson game, at least for me, has changed forms to a much tamer aspect. My wife and I have spent the weekend planning out a menu for a get together we're having at our place with a couple that we are great friends with.
The evening will consist of nibbling at the various appetizers my wife will have put together and not let me cook because she just doesn't like the way I do things in the kitchen and watching the game from the comfort of the sofa, floor, or chair, or whatever horizontal surface we decide to sit on. There will be some adult beverages involved... but nowhere near to the extent of which we used to consume.
The last time I drank too much, I blew out blood vessels in both eyes later that night from puking. I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. My drinking habits and tolerance have definitely changed since I was a foolish, young college student. Not that from time to time, I'm not a foolish, thirty-something, but that will be a topic to discuss in a later post.....
But now it's time to bring on the football -- and kick some Seminole ass. Go Tigers!
1 comment:
Pretty bad ass victory there, Tigers. I was worried they were going to blow it there at the end, but they managed to pull it off! Nice.
Post a Comment