When I wrote my last post here on MM, I was gearing up for what ended being a very busy fall. In the last three months, I have put together two magazines at work and have been working with some folks on redesigning our college’s web site.
So I didn’t really put a concerted effort into blogging – and imposed a hiatus, of sorts, on doing so.
“Life intervened,” to use a phrase from my dad’s blog.
I have missed blogging. There’s been more than one occasion when I’ve sat down to write something – I had gotten several paragraphs into a few topics. But not at any one of those points did I consider posting what I had written.
I guess my heart just wasn’t in it. I was too distracted by work. Or by the holidays. Or by praying this stupid healthcare bill would just die and go away.
Distracted by the economy. Distracted by our weird cat who is trying to eat a piece of twist -tie right now…
Hold on while I go take that away from her….
OK, I’m back.
Distracted by Twitter. Well, I got rid of that last week. I decided that I had no need for it. It was too different of an animal for me to get into. I just didn’t see the point in it.
Distracted by Facebook. I spend way too much time on Facebook. Kinda reminds me of college when I spent way too much time on bulletin boards and downloading Doom plug-ins. Except Facebook goes to entirely new levels to suck you in. Whether it’s updating my status while I’m waiting in the dentist’s office or getting on Mafia Wars first thing in the morning – I think it’s time to reign some of that in. So this week I’m trying an experiment.
I de-Facebooked a few days ago. No I didn’t anything crazy like delete my account. I just haven’t logged into it for going on four days now. I’m trying to see how long I can go before I start to have Facebook withdrawal.
Now that the holidays are said and done and the crazy fall semester is said and done, I’m hoping things will slow down a little. I’m hoping to get back into blogging on a regular schedule.
I was reading something recently that successful bloggers have to have a focus. That nobody wants to read things that don’t have some sort of message.
I agree with that – to an extent. But at the same time, that wouldn’t necessarily hold true to the title of this blog, Methodical Mayhem.
At the same time, I think that bloggers should have the right be a little off the proverbial wall. I’ve never really considered myself to be totally on the wall to begin with.
So focus, schmocus.
You may find a little more structure in posts to come here on MM. That’s really yet to be seen. But I do have some topics in mind that have been rattling around in my cranium for a few days or weeks, so keep an eye out.
There’s interesting stuff to come - especially in the next two days.
1 comment:
welcome back old friend :) You have been missed.
WHAT?! No Twitter?? A shame I tell ya! I have met some incredible people through there and find the news to be better shared in 140characters or less. Anything more is simply not needed!
Oh, and forget the focus, say I. It is after all YOUR blog - who cares what anyone else's opinion is! I for one enjoy reading it.
Post a Comment