07 August 2009

The Hughes Legacy


The first time I ever watched The Breakfast Club, I thought "This movie is awesome." A lot of people can identify with it. The brain. The athlete. The basket case. The princess. The criminal....

20+ years later I still believe that.

Then there was Ferris. Everyone wanted to be Ferris. Everyone understood Ferris. Ferris rocked.

Along the way, Say Anything. Sixteen Candles. Uncle Buck. Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Home Alone.

All the creation of John Hughes.

John has one of the Hollywood legacies that people will remember for years to come. He will go down as a Hollywood legend. If he doesn't, myself and an innumerable amount of fans will be seriously disappointed.

I've put several posts or comments today on my Facebook page about Mr. Hughes and his movies.

Then I stumbled across this heartwarming gem from a blog called We'll Know When We Get There.

A posted entitled "Sincerely, John Hughes" by a lady named Allison Byrne Fields.

If you're a fan of John Hughes' movies, you need to read this. If you're not, you still need to. And make sure you read the comments at the bottom of it also.

I can write all day about my love of Mr. Hughes' movies. How much they made me laugh. How much I identified with many of his characters at some point.

But even if I wanted to try, I couldn't even touch the poignancy, the personal connection or the emotions of Ms. Fields' blog post.

She's written what I feel is one of my favorite blog posts ever. Thank you for that Allison.

And I thank you John. My generation thanks you.

We'll miss you.


No comments: