01 August 2008

Brilliant...But A Little Evil Too

Everyone gets songs stuck in their head from time to time. I have one stuck in mine right now that I really didn't want in there in the first place.

My wife and I went this evening to a pizza buffet place not far from our house, called Stevi B's. They have some really unique, creative pizzas - it's one of our favorite pizza places.

Right now, after the fact, it's not - but after I get this stinking song out of my head, we'll definitely go back there sometime soon.

After we got out of the car in the Stevi B's parking lot we heard what sounded like techno music. It had a sort of dance beat to it, but nothing like club music -- more like something you'd hear on a Kidz Bop CD.

Then we heard the singing. A chorus of children singing "I like pizza, I like pizza. I like pizza all day long. Pizza in the morning. Pizza in the evening. Pizza all day long. I like pizza. I eat pizza. I dig pizza. I'll eat pizza anytime of the day"..... I'm sure you kinda get the jist.

I looked around and thought "What on Earth?" .. There was a Stevi B's van parked near the restaurant, with speakers on the top blaring this childly hypnotic groove about pizza.

Talk about your shameless advertising.

All through our time in the restaurant we heard it. I even heard a little kid as he was walking by singing along with it.

Unfortunately and admittedly, I even started singing it without quite realizing it as I went up to the buffet, got some more pizza, and sat down still humming it. My wife gave me this look. It was that look she gets when she really doesn't understand something I'm doing. It was one of those "You weirdo" looks.

We stopped by a bookstore three stores down after eating, hearing the music playing as we walked along. Then again as we headed back to the car.

Now, nearly two and half hours later, this stupid song is still in my head.

I like pizza. I really do. I think it's one of the best foods of all time. Whoever came up with it was a genius. But whoever came up with that song was a genius too.

I'm sure hundreds of children in this town go home each night after leaving Stevi B's singing "I like pizza" over and over in their car. Get it engrained in their mind; that's the hook. I'm sure their parents just love that. Brainwash them with techno music about the wonders of pepperoni and cheese. Yeah, brilliant marketing. But evil too.

No comments: