19 June 2008

Lasagna and Longevity


When I pick up the Sunday paper, the first section I start hunting for is the Comics. Right past the A Section, Sports, Classifieds and Lifestyle sections, straight to the Comics. Once there, I hunt for one thing: the Garfield strip.

The very first thing I read in the Sunday newspaper is the Garfield comic strip. I get my daily Garfield fix with my Garfield IGoogle widget -- right there, center stage beside my news feeds on my homepage every day when I first load up my browser.

I'm a Garfield addict. I used to collect the Garfield comic strip compilation books. I kind of got out of that a few years back, but I still have all the ones I did purchase readily accessible so I can thumb through them from time to time. I have all of the main Garfield characters as stuffed animals on a shelf in my office at home.

Today is Garfield's 30th birthday. June 19, 1978 was the day of the first Garfield strip. He's slimmed down since then; but personality-wise he's still pretty much the same.

Garfield and I have grown up together and are a lot alike. Our favorite food is lasagna. We both love to sleep in and both hate Mondays. We both have an affinity for the remote control. We both like to make smart-ass remarks. And we both love junk food.

Garfield's creator, Jim Davis, obviously has an awesome sense of humor. To consistently come up with new material on a weekly or daily basis for 30 years, you have to have a great deal of talent. Jim is up near the top of my list of people I'd like to meet.

I don't quite recall how or when I first got into Garfield, since I was only four when Jim first put the orange ink on the paper to draw the lasagna lovin' cat. I have a feeling my dad turned me on to Garfield.

But I know I've been actively reading Garfield comic strips for at least 25 of the 30 years he's been around. Garfield is one of the constants in my life.

As long as Garfield is published, that will be the first thing I look for in my Sunday newspaper.

So Happy Birthday, Garfield. I hope you're around for another 30 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged!