24 April 2008

Being Laughed At Isn't Always Bad

It's springtime here in Upstate South Carolina so we're already hitting temperatures that are upwards of hot. When the weather starts to warm up like this, I like to roll the car window down on my way home from work so I don't have to run the A/C and have my gas mileage get eaten up.

Granted I was already kinda hot from having spent an hour or so running back and forth across campus right before I left to come home on Thursday....

So a few miles from work I stopped at a Little Cricket that I am starting to frequent to buy my standard Mello-Yello for the ride home.

This must be a stop for a lot of manufacturing workers or contractors because I see alot in there when I swing by there on my way home. Today, there were quite a bit more than usual and the line was about six or seven people deep.

But that's really beside the point and not really relevant to the point of this post, which I'm getting to.

OK - so here I am standing in line, right beside the ice cream treats case. I happen to look down and I see they have frozen Snickers ice cream bars.

I love Snickers. Second to Reese Sticks, they're my favorite type of candy bar. And to have it with ice cream -- that's some gooooood eatin'

"Oh, snap!," I said out loud with a big grin.

The lady behind me starts laughing. I looked back at her, and she just kinda looks at me, laughs some more, and says, "It ain't every day you see a grown man get excited about ice cream."

I like making people laugh. And that usually manifests itself in the form of sarcasm/smart-ass remarks, which in unknown company isn't always the best route. There are certain people I know appreciate my sense of humor or with whom I can get away with saying something smart and not being looked at like I'm a moron.

So I really felt good that I made someone laugh, even though I'm sure she was thinking I was acting like a child. Being laughed at in that type of situation isn't always that bad. It's actually rather enjoyable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ultra conservative republicanism is hard enough to deal with, but Mello Yello. Where did I go wrong? It's Mountain Dew, it should always be Mountain Dew.

TD